[openstack-dev] [stable] Preping for the stable/newton EOL

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Wed Oct 25 09:11:01 UTC 2017

On 25 October 2017 at 03:57, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 05:11:15PM +1100, Tony Breeds wrote:
>> >
>> > As promised here's the list.  The fomat is new, It's grouped by project
>> > team so it should be easy for teams to find repos they care about.
>> >
>> > The only wart may be repos I couldn't find an owning team for, so check
>> > the '-' as the owning team.
>> >
>> > I'm proposing to EOL all projects that meet one or more of the following
>> > criteria:
>> >
>> > - The project is openstack-dev/devstack, openstack-dev/grenade or
>> >   openstack/requirements (although these wil be done last)
>> > - The project has the 'check-requirements' job listed as a template in
>> >   project-config:zuul/layout.yaml
>> > - The project gates with either devstack or grenade jobs
>> > - The project is listed in governance:reference/projects.yaml and is tagged
>> >   with 'stable:follows-policy'.
>> >

>> > Based on previous cycles I have opted out:
>> > - 'openstack/group-based-policy'
>> > - 'openstack/openstack-ansible'         # So they can add EOL tags
>> >
>> > Also based on recent email's with tripleo I have opted out:
>> > - 'openstack/instack'
>> > - 'openstack/instack-undercloud'
>> > - 'openstack/os-apply-config'
>> > - 'openstack/os-collect-config'
>> > - 'openstack/os-net-config'
>> > - 'openstack/os-refresh-config'
>> > - 'openstack/puppet-tripleo'
>> > - 'openstack/python-tripleoclient'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-common'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-heat-templates'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-puppet-elements'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-validations'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-image-elements'
>> > - 'openstack/tripleo-ui'
>>
>> I've also removed the following repos as the have open release requests
>> for stable/newton
>>  - openstack/nova
>>  - openstack/ironic
>>  - openstack/openstack-ansible*
>>
>> And at the request of the docs team I've omitted:
>>  - openstack/openstack-manuals
>>
>> to facilitate 'badging' of the newton docs.
>
> The repos listed in http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123910.html
> have been retired.
>
> There were a couple of issues
> - openstack/deb-python-os-cloud-config
> - openstack/bareon
> My clones of both had stale gerrit remotes that has been corrected
> manually.
>
> The timing of the next phase is uncertain right now but I'd like to take
> care of:
>
> - openstack/nova
> - openstack/ironic
> - openstack/openstack-ansible*
> - openstack/openstack-manuals
>
> before the summit if possible.
>
> Thanks to the infra team for enabling this to happen today.
>
> Tony.

Hello Tony,

We'd like to continue doing as before: updating all our upstream
projects to their EOL tag, then creating an EOL release based on our
roles that would successfully deploy those EOL upstream projects.
If any role need a change, due to latest upstream changes, we need to be ready.

TL:DR; I'll submit a patch soon to bump our upstream roles to EOL,
when nova/ironic will have their EOL tag :p

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)

PS: The existing newton release to review was the last bump before
EOL, and was submitted during EOL week IIRC. It's good to keep it,
this way we are still following our release train, while some EOL tags
are not yet issued.