[openstack-dev] [release][infra][zuul][zuulv3][horizon][neutron] project-specific release job templates

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 24 15:05:34 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-24 09:42:25 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> It looks like the publish-to-pypi-neutron template modifies
> publish-to-pypi by adding openstack/neutron to the required-repositories
> list for the release-openstack-python job. That repository was also at
> some point added directly to the release-openstack-python job. So
> technically the extension via the template is not needed. The same
> applies to publish-to-pypi-horizon.
[...]

Both are stop-gap solutions and I think either is fine in the short
term to get us through the bulk of the release request backlog.
Longer term we want to have neither of those. Python projects should
be able to build sdists/wheels[1], documentation[2] and release
notes[3] without tox (a behavior change which significantly
complicates preinstalling source code from other projects, so best
if their release jobs simply don't rely on doing that at all).

> As we find other projects with more dependencies, we're going to
> end up with more custom templates.
[...]

If we do, this only accelerates the need for something like a
community goal for fixing this in those respective Python
plugin/extension projects.

> One alternative to keeping multiple variants, and defining more in
> the future, is to add required-repositories to the release-openstack-python
> job directly, as we discover they are needed. Of course that means
> we will clone repositories for some jobs that don't actually use
> them. I don't know how big of an issue that really is, but the issue
> of not knowing which instances of a job actually need a particular
> dependency seems like more of a justification for keeping separate
> templates than any runtime savings we would have by skipping a
> couple of extra calls to git clone.
[...]

Well, in this case you're talking about Zuul needing to calculate
merge states for the neutron and horizon repos and then push these
into every build of the affected jobs, which is no small amount of
overhead on its own given the size of those particular repos. Also,
once the tox-siblings role[4] is back in action (likely later this
week?) Zuul will go back to preinstalling any required-projects from
source into tox virtualenvs for these jobs, which is quite a bit
more overhead still at that point.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/commit/?id=2678231
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/commit/?id=2c0cdd2
[3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/commit/?id=df438a7