[openstack-dev] Fwd: [Distutils][pbr][devstack][qa] Announcement: Pip 10 is coming, and will move all internal APIs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Oct 21 13:18:20 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-20 17:50:15 -0400 (-0400), Sam Yaple wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
[...]
> > 3. Remove the system package before installing from pip (why is
> > it there in the first place?).
[...]
> Option 3 is difficult to make work since so many packages have
> dependancies on python-* packages, I abandoned that approach
> fairly quickly.

Right, on Debian/Ubuntu it's not too terrible (cloud-init's
dependencies are usually the biggest issue there and we manage to
avoid them by building our own images with no cloud-init), but on
Red Hat derivatives there are a lot of deep operating system
internals built on top of packaged Python libraries which simply
can't be uninstalled cleanly nor safely.
--
Jeremy Stanley