[openstack-dev] [tc] [stable] [tripleo] [kolla] [ansible] [puppet] Proposing changes in stable policy for installers

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue Oct 17 08:31:22 UTC 2017

On 10/17/17 12:50 AM, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> So my 0.02$
>
> Problem with handling Newton goes beyond deployment tools. Yes, it's
> popular to use, but if our dependencies (openstack services
> themselves) are unmaintained, so should we. If we say "we support
> Newton" in deployment tools, we make kind of promise we can't keep. If
> for example there is CVE in Nova that affects Newton, there is nothing
> we can do about it and our "support" is meaningless.
>
> Not having LTS kind of model was issue for OpenStack operators
> forever, but that's not problem we can solve in deployment tools
> (although we are often asked for that because our communities are
> largely operators and we're arguably closest projects to operators).
>
> I, for one, think we should keep current stable policy, not make
> exception for deployment tools, and address this issue across the
> board. What Emilien is describing is real issue that hurts operators.

I agree we should keep current stable policy and never backport
features. It adds too much of the maintenance overhead, high risks of
breaking changes and requires a lots of additional testing. So then
deployment tools, if want features backported, should not be holding
that stable policy tag.

> On 16 October 2017 at 15:38, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> My preference goes to proposal 1, however rather than call it "relaxed"
>>> I would make it specific to deployment/lifecycle or cycle-trailing
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> Ideally this policy could get adopted by any such project. The
>>> discussion started on the review and it's going well, so let's see where
>>> it goes :)
>>
>> Thierry, when I read your comment on Gerrit I understand you prefer to
>> amend the existing policy and just make a note for installers (which
>> is I think the option #2 that I proposed). Can you please confirm
>> that?
>> So far I see option #1 has large consensus here, I'll wait for
>> Thierry's answer to continue to work on it.
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback so far!
>> --
>> Emilien Macchi

Best regards,