[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for candidates: How do you think we can make our community more inclusive?

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 03:02:17 UTC 2017

 FeiLong, Thanks for raising the pain points as a non-English native
speaker. I had similar experience with you in last 5 years. Language,
timezone, culture are the common barriers for diversity and inclusiveness.
We could identify  what's
the biggest obstacles for contributors to contribute happily.  That could
be done through discussions occurred in local meetup/online meeting in
local language and bring conclusions back to the global community
discussion. record the obstacles and find the way to overcome them.  BTW, I
really like the TC office hours.

how you
think we could make our community more inclusive. What areas would you
improve
first?

> Thanks for asking, Flavio. That's one of the topic I mentioned in my
> candidacy, that's because as a Chinese working on OpenStack in the past 6
> years, I do have some experiences about this though I agree it couldn't be
> done in 1 cycle/year. But I think it's still a domain I can contribute for
> OpenStack.
>
> I can still remember I had to join the Glance meeting at 2:00AM, and was
> challenged because of saying "Hi guys" in a public channel though "Hi guys"
> is used very common in New Zealand. Should we expect a non-English native
> speaker to understand the details between “Hi there", "Hi guys" and "Hi
> folks"? I think that's the language and culture barrier for many new
> contributors. We (Brian, Erno) even tried to propose a panel at summit to
> discuss it before. Currently, it's more important than ever to keep those
> new contributors due to the changes happening around OpenStack nowadays.
>
> On 14/10/17 01:45, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> Some of you, TC candidates, expressed concerns about diversity and
> inclusiveness
> (or inclusivity, depending on your taste) in your candidacy. I believe
> this is a
> broad, and some times ill-used, topic so, I'd like to know, from y'all,
> how you
> think we could make our community more inclusive. What areas would you
> improve
> first?
>
> Thank you,
> Flavio
>
> --
> @flaper87
> Flavio Percoco

> --
> Cheers & Best regards,
> Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
> Senior Cloud Software Engineer
> Tel: +64-48032246 <+64%204-803%202246>
> Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
> Catalyst IT Limited
> Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington

ChangBo Guo(gcb)
Community Director @EasyStack