[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for the candidates

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:42:35 UTC 2017

By being involved in training activities and on-boarding new contributors to our community I would like to join to Emilien on his point.

I think we have a great, open and welcoming community already, but we still have many areas to improve. Teaching the new community members the processes and tools is essential and also the easier part.

The difficulty starts when they start to actively contribute to a project and they need to understand the mission, scope, architecture and dynamics of it to become a team member longer term and take on responsibilities. With smaller projects it is usually easier, while the more complex projects can be challenging both for the new team members and the core team.

With smaller groups we get back to a discussion periodically about encouraging the teams to do more mentoring and also about mentoring the mentors as we have a few experienced people and teams with good examples already. In my view the TC can help with putting emphasis on encouraging this mentality and direction besides looking into metrics.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó
(IRC: ildikov)