[openstack-dev] [all][tc] TC Candidates: what does an OpenStack user look like?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 03:29:01 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 12:51:10PM -0400, Zane Bitter wrote:
> (Reminder: we are in the TC election campaigning period, and we all have the
> opportunity to question the candidates. The campaigning period ends on
> Saturday, so make with the questions.)
>

> In my head, I have a mental picture of who I'm building OpenStack for. When
> I'm making design decisions I try to think about how it will affect these
> hypothetical near-future users. By 'users' here I mean end-users, the actual
> consumers of OpenStack APIs. What will it enable them to do? What will they
> have to work around? I think we probably all do this, at least
> subconsciously. (Free tip: try doing it consciously.)
>
> So my question to the TC candidates (and incumbent TC members, or anyone
> else, if they want to answer) is: what does the hypothetical OpenStack user
> that is top-of-mind in your head look like? Who are _you_ building OpenStack
> for?

For me, my 'OpenStack user' is the developers of the OpenStack project. While a
developer might not be directly consuming the OpenStack API, the tooling they
use to contribute to OpenStack does. This is the main reason why I enjoy working
on the Project Infrastructure team.

It provides a feedback loop back into the project, to take real world issues
with OpenStack (eg: scaling, multi-cloud, python clients, APIs, you name it) and
hopefully make themself back into the hands of developers.  It doesn't always
work out that way, but is still a great process to have.