[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for the candidates

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Fri Oct 13 02:26:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2017, at 8:10 PM, Mohammed Naser <mnaser at vexxhost.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that the OpenStack infrastructure team is doing a wonderful
>> job at keeping such a huge CI system working to the best of their
>> effort, however, I think that there needs to be a stronger
>> relationship between projects and the infrastructure team in order for
>> us to help alleviate some of the load that is on them. There are a lot
>> of moving components from dealing with multiple cloud infrastructure
>> donors, operating two flavours of clouds internally, maintaining the
>> codebase of Zuul and other system administration related tasks.
>
> Thanks for the answer, and I definitely agree. But I don't feel that you answered the important part: what would you have wanted the TC to do about this?

Thanks for responding Ed.

I would propose that the TC should work on a motion and present it to
the OpenStack development community to encourage projects on creating
an infrastructure liaison role.  While I'd understand that the
infrastructure team is quite busy these days, but before working on
setting a motion in place, it would be best to listen more to the
infrastructure team about this sort of concept and how we can bridge
the gap between developers and the infrastructure team.

I don't think the TC's resolution should operate by enforcement but
rather by empowerment, therefore I would hope that the result of this
would be a well documented resolution regarding this subject which
could demonstrate the strong value in adopting this role within
project teams, encouraging teams to find that individual (or many) who
can step up and work together with the infrastructure team.