[openstack-dev] [all][tc] TC Candidates: what does an OpenStack user look like?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 16:51:10 UTC 2017

(Reminder: we are in the TC election campaigning period, and we all have
the opportunity to question the candidates. The campaigning period ends
on Saturday, so make with the questions.)

In my head, I have a mental picture of who I'm building OpenStack for.
When I'm making design decisions I try to think about how it will affect
these hypothetical near-future users. By 'users' here I mean end-users,
the actual consumers of OpenStack APIs. What will it enable them to do?
What will they have to work around? I think we probably all do this, at
least subconsciously. (Free tip: try doing it consciously.)

So my question to the TC candidates (and incumbent TC members, or anyone
else, if they want to answer) is: what does the hypothetical OpenStack
user that is top-of-mind in your head look like? Who are _you_ building
OpenStack for?

There's a description of mine in this email, as an example:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123312.html

To be clear, for me at least there's only one wrong answer ("person who
needs somewhere to run their IRC bouncer"). What's important in my
opinion is that we have a bunch of people with *different* answers on
the TC, because I think that will lead to better discussion and
hopefully better decisions.

Discuss.

cheers,
Zane.