[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Looking for feedback on a spec to limit max_count in multi-create requests

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 14:44:53 UTC 2017

On 10/12/2017 4:09 AM, Saverio Proto wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> starting 1000 instances in production works for me already. We are on
> Openstack Newton.
> I described my configuration here:
> https://cloudblog.switch.ch/2017/08/28/starting-1000-instances-on-switchengines/
>
> If things blow up for you with hundreds, probably there is a
> regression somewhere.
>
> Thanks
>
> Saverio

Thanks for posting that article, I've left some comments and questions
in there for you. :)

Once I realized that conductor was timing out waiting for the response
from the scheduler select_destinations() call, bumping the
rpc_response_timeout config made things work.

Note that in my single-node fake driver devstack setup here I'm not
creating real guests nor am I setting up networking. For the purpose of
my test I was just interested in the conductor/scheduler/placement
service interaction, not so much with the actual guest creation that
happens in the compute service.

Matt