[openstack-dev] [tripleo][quickstart][rdo] shipping python-virtualbmc in Newton to allow undercloud upgrades from Newton to Queens

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Thu Oct 12 11:58:40 UTC 2017

On 05-10-17 09:57:26, Lee Yarwood wrote:
> On 05-10-17 09:33:29, Steven Hardy wrote:
>> This sounds reasonable to me, but note another option for testing
>> fast-forward overcloud upgrades would be to deploy a trunk/pike
>> undercloud, then use it to deploy a newton overcloud (use newton
>> overcloud-full image and tripleo-heat-templates).
>>
>> We already do a mixed version deploy like this if the upgrade CI jobs,
>> although those are only deploying the N-1 release not N-3, but I think
>> in theory it should work the same.
>
> Thanks Steven, great point, I wanted to run through the full upgrade
> somewhere in our RDO CI but for devs working on this deploying a Newton
> overcloud from a master undercloud would be the quickest to get up and
> running.
>
> I've just had a look through the current upgrade jobs and have copied
> their approach of using config/release/*.yml to control this. I'll
> report back if/when I've managed to sucessfully deploy this.

Apologies, I forgot to follow up here, I've submitted the following
tripleo-quickstart change to provide a very basic master undercloud,
newton overcloud release config:

config: Provide a Master UC and Newton OC release config
https://review.openstack.org/511464

I'm working on another change to have tripleo-quickstart snapshot this
initial deployment now, hopefully further reducing the pain of working
on fast-forward upgrades during Queens

Thanks again,

Lee
--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76