[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Oct 12 07:53:19 UTC 2017

On 10/11/2017 01:17 PM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> On 10/10/17, 9:26 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
>> I still think we should just be looking at these files as sample
>> data and not active configuration files when we put them into the sdist
>> or wheel.
>
> There is agreement from all distributions bar one on this approach so far, so I’d like to dig into this approach more to see if we can find a solution that works for everyone.
>
> Thomas, do I understand the problem correctly that if we considered these sample files then the complexity for Debian appears to be that it would not want the sample config files in, for example, /usr/share/nova but instead in /usr/share/nova-common ? Is the use of the –common directory something that’s Debian specific, or do any other distributions do it?

Hoping to let you understand a bit more where I am, here's a bit more
details.

What I do in Debian also goes in Ubuntu, so it's not Debian specific.
The thing is, we don't have a nova package, the list is:

nova-api
nova-cells
nova-common
nova-compute
nova-compute-ironic
nova-compute-kvm
nova-compute-lxc
nova-compute-qemu
nova-conductor
nova-console
nova-consoleauth
nova-consoleproxy
nova-doc
nova-placement-api
nova-scheduler
python-nova
python3-nova

The nova-common package is the one that holds all the configuration file
logic. So using /usr/share/nova-common is the natural place where to put
configuration files. However, if we had *samples* (ie: files that are
examples, not to be used in production), they would go in the nova-doc
package, somewhere in /usr/share/doc/nova-doc, probably even within an
example folder in this path.

Now, there's something which I still am not completely sure. Are you
willing to push for *samples*, or real configuration files which we can
actually use? Depending on your answer, the destination location will be
different, and probably the only thing we need is some logic to disable
the installation of config files (and then we just do it at the
packaging level as we've been used to do so far).

Also, in the packaging process, there's a few tweaks that are necessary
for the distro integration. A quick example: in the nova package, I've
set sensible default for [DEFAULT]/pybasedir, [DEFAULT]/bindir,
[DEFAULT]/state_path. Even if you were shipping a nova.conf in the
correct location, the Debian package would have to fix these directives.
I've seen that Ubuntu does something similar also.

I still didn't have any reply on my PBR change proposal. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)