[openstack-dev] [docs] Flagging deprecated releases

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Tue Oct 10 20:40:05 UTC 2017

> Doug Hellmann <mailto:doug at doughellmann.com>
> October 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM
>

> When I was updating the landing pages and adding the old release series,
> I identified 5 different statuses: obsolete, EOL, maintained, current, and
> development. Those are encoded in the SERIES_INFO data in the template
> generator
> (http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/tools/www-generator.py#n43)
>
> Austin is an example of an obsolete series, and there's some text on
> that landing page about "no longer supported by the community".
> https://docs.openstack.org/austin/
>
> It looks like I used the same text for Icehouse, which is an EOL
> release. https://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/
>
> The text for Ocata just says "this is not the latest release":
> https://docs.openstack.org/ocata/
>
> The text for Pike, the "current" release, says "this is the latest
> release": https://docs.openstack.org/pike/
>
> And Queens says "this release is currently under development":
> https://docs.openstack.org/queens/
>
> I don't care especially much about the text, and we can make the badges
> and landing pages match once we decide what we want, but I think we need
> the 4 distinct statuses (where obsolete and EOL are the same).
OK. No problem at all on the 4 distinct statuses. Makes sense :) In
fact, it might be nice to use these SERIES_INFO to do slight color
shifts. Like EOL = red, Latest release = Green, etc...  Then we could
put a little key on the main docs page and in an info icon on the banner
so people know what they're looking at. Thoughts?

> On a technical note from someone who has poor web-fu, will we be
> able to inject text into the overlay for old docs without rebuilding
> them?
> For example, we can update the pike docs now but when that
> branch goes EOL we want the text to update to say that without us
> having to rebuild the pike docs. Ideally we would be able to just update
> the SERIES_INFO settings and the next time a pike page is loaded the
> correct badge will appear.
Right. We could grab the variable and populate the value using
javascript w/o having to go back and edit all the old docs. The more
automated we can make it the better :)