[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Repo structure for ansible-k8s-roles-* under TripleO's umbrella

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Tue Oct 10 16:34:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/17 12:41 -0700, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:29 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 1. A repo per role: Each role would have its own repo - this is the way
>>> I've
>>> been developing it on Github. This model is closer to the ansible way of
>>> doing
>>> things and it'll make it easier to bundle, ship, and collaborate on,
>>> individual
>>> roles. Going this way would produce something similar to what the
>>> openstack-ansible folks have.
>>

>> +1 on #1 for the composability.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Have we considered renaming it to something without tripleo in the name?
>> Or is it too specific to TripleO that we want it in the name?
>

> The roles don't have tripleo in their names. The only role that mentions
> tripleo
> is tripleo specific. As for the APB, yeah, I had thought about renaming that
> repo to something without tripleo in there: Perhaps just `ansible-k8s-apbs`.
>
> I'm about to refactor this repo to remove all the code duplication. We
> should be
> able to generate most of the APB code that's in there from a python script.
> We
> could even have this script in tripleo_common, if it sounds sensible.

It should be it's own thing and not in tripleo_common.  When I was
proposing a cookiecutter repo it was because in Puppet we do the same
thing to bootstrap the modules[0].  It would be a good idea to
establish this upfront with the appropriate repo & zuul v3
configurations that could be used to test these modules. We have a
similar getting started with a new module doc[1] that we should
probably establish for these ansible-k8s-* roles.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-openstack-cookiecutter
[1] https://docs.openstack.org/puppet-openstack-guide/latest/contributor/new-module.html