[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 11:16:37 UTC 2017

On 10/9/17, 4:08 PM, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

>    So yeah, you can push files in /usr/share/nova, but then we'll have to
>    actually *delete* them in the packaging, because it doesn't fit our use
>    case. So in fact, best would be if this could be overridden, for example
>    using an environment variable. Something like:

>    export OSLO_CONFIG_FILE_DEST=/usr/share/nova-common

>    This way, I wouldn't have to manually move/copy/delete/regenerate config
>    files by hand in debian/rules.

Using an env var to override behavior does seem like something that could be useful. For example if I could use an env var to say that data_files destined for etc/nova should go to /etc/nova instead of /usr/etc/nova then that’d be good. However it appears that’s possible without an env var as noted in http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123346.html

In the Debian case it seems that the need would be to do some sort of search and replace, because the suffix changes. How would you implement an env var in such a way that you can map a path in setup.cfg to a replacement path set in an env var?

Regardless, given that this is not functionality currently available for setuptools, distutils or pbr it would seem that this functionality (or another applicable workaround) would have to be carried by Debian packaging until such time that such a facility exists in the python tooling.

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.