[openstack-dev] Supporting SSH host certificates

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Oct 10 00:00:32 UTC 2017

I don't think its unfair to compare against k8s in this case. You have to follow the same kinds of steps as an admin provisioning a k8s compute node as you do an openstack compute node. The main difference I think is they make use of the infrastructure that was put in place by the operator, making it available to the user in a more friendly way, while currently we ask the user to manually piece together a secure path themselves utilizing back channels that the operator secured (consoles)

As far as console scraping, as standard a practice as it is, isn't very well adopted. Most folks I've seen just ignore the ssh stuff entirely and live with the man in the middle risk. So, while a standard, its an infrequently used one, IMO.

Theres a temporal issue too. Standing up a new compute node happens rarely. Standing up a new vm should be relatively frequent. As an operator, I'd be ok taking on the one time cost burden of setup of the compute nodes if I didn't have to worry so much about users doing bad things with ssh.

Thanks,
Kevin