[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 7 10:30:54 UTC 2017

On 10/03/2017 03:07 PM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>> Why not? Simply because installing config files in /usr/etc is silly.
>> The question would rather be: why not accepting the PBR patch...
>
> It is silly, but again, people consuming from deb or RPM won't notice it.

Though people doing the packaging will suffer. Please don't throw the
baby over the wall, and let's fix the issue.

> Sure, having the python tools install the files in the right directory is the
> ideal final solution.

Let's get there then. In the mean while, don't break stuff.

> My point is that the proposed solution is not worse than
> the previous one and fixes at least one use case that was not previously
> covered (the one that can be easily fixed).

You are proposing to induce pain to everyone doing packaging, just
because it solves your developer pip use case. That's not what OpenStack
used to do, and that's not fair. Let's fix things properly *first*
please, maybe by discussing the PBR fix I linked to. Can we agree that
this is the pragmatic easy (but maybe temporarily) way to fix the issue,
even if it's not perfect and a setuptools fix would be better?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)