[openstack-dev] [ptl][tc] Accessible upgrade support

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:51:07 UTC 2017

On 10/3/2017 1:52 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> I'm hoping this will get a little more attention.
>
> We recently started discussing removing governance tags that did not have any
> projects asserting them. I think this makes a lot of sense. Some tags were
> defined apparently in the hope that it would get projects thinking about them
> and wanting to either apply for the tag, or do the work to be able to meet the
> requirements for that tag.
>
> While this may have worked in some cases, we do have a few that are a little
> unclear and not really getting much attention. We will likely clean up that
> tag list a little, but there was some push back on at least one tag.
>
> The supports-accessible-upgrade tag basically states that a service can be
> upgraded without affecting access to the resources that the service manages
> [1]. This actually fits with how at least Nova and Cinder work, so a patch is
> now out there to assert this for those two projects [2].
>
> I would bet there are several other projects out there that work in this same
> way. Since we are looking between removing tags or using them (use it or lose
> it), I would actually love to see more projects asserting this tag. If your
> project manages a set of resources that are available even when your service
> is down and/or being upgraded, please consider submitting a patch like [2] to
> add your project to the list.
>
> And just a general call out to raise awareness - please take a look through
> the other defined tags and see if there are any others that are applicable to
> your projects [3].
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean (smcginnis)
>

> [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-accessible-upgrade.html
> [3] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/index.html

What's the difference between this tag and the zero-impact-upgrades tag?
I guess the accessible one is, can a user still ssh into their VM while
the nova compute service is being upgraded. The zero-impact-upgrade one
is more to do with performance degradation during an upgrade. I'm not
entirely sure what that might look like, probably need operator input.
For example, while upgrading, you're live migrating VMs all over the
place which is putting extra strain on the network.

I think all of the tags could benefit from some examples for real use
cases so people have context when reading them.

Also, does the Foundation have any data on how much tags are used as
input to weigh decisions about choosing to adopt an OpenStack project in
a deployment or not? I'm not entirely sure what the carrot and stick is
with tags or if/how people are consuming them. I don't ever think about
tags personally, probably because there is no bi-annual audit process on
them to see if we need to add/remove tags from nova.

Matt