[openstack-dev] [TripleO] containerized undercloud in Queens

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 15:39:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > make sure
>> > we're not just doing more work because we as developers think it's
>> > a good
>> > idea." I'm a developer and I do think this is a good idea. Please
>> > don't try
>> > to de-motivate this effort just because you happen to believe this.
>> > It was
>> > accepted for Pike and unfortunately we didn't get enough buy in
>> > early enough
>> > to get focus on it. Now that is starting to change and just as it
>> > is you are
>> > suggesting we not keep it a priority?
>> >

>> Once again, I agree and I am on board to the end goal that I think is
>> trying to be achieved by this effort. What I am currently not on
>> board
>> with is the time frame of for Queens based on concerns previously
>> mentioned.  This is not about trying to demotivating an effort. It's
>> about ensuring quality and something that is consumable by an
>> additional set of end users of the software (the operator/deployer,
>> not developer).  Given that we have not finished the overcloud
>> deployment and are still working on fixing items found for that, I
>> personally feel it's a bit early to consider switching the undercloud
>> default install to a containerized method.  That being said, I have
>> repeatedly stated that if we account for updates, upgrades, docs and
>> the operator UX there's no problems with this effort. I just don't
>> think it's realistic given current timelines (~9 weeks).
>>  Please feel
>> free to provide information/patches to the contrary.
>
> Whether this feature makes the release or not I think it is too early
> to say. What I can say is the amount of work remaining on the
> Undercloud feature is IMO a good bit less than we knocked out in the
> last release:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-composable-containers-underclo
> ud
>
> And regardless of whether we make the release or not there is a huge
> value to moving the work forward now... if only to put us in a better
> position for the next release.
>
> I've been on the containers team for a while now and I'm more familiar
> with the velocity that we could handle. Let us motivate ourselves and
> give updates along the way over the next 2 months as this effort
> progresses. Please don't throw "cold water" on why you don't think we
> are going to make the release (especially as PTL, this can be quite
> harmful to the effort for some). In fact, lets just stop talking about
> Queens, and Rocky entirely. I think we can agree that this feature is a
> high priority and have people move the effort forward as much as we
> can.
>
> This *is* a very important feature. It can be fun to work on. Let those
> of us who are doing the work finish scoping it and at least have a
> chance at making progress before you throw weight against us not making

I'm not trying to slow you down on. I'm only trying point out that
there are specifics that must be accomplished before we can consider
something as ready and what you're asking is quite the change. It's a
reminder of deadlines and ensuring that they are met before assuming
it will make the release. Please use M2 for your planning as the
target destination.  If you can make what I have asked by M2, then
switching should not be a problem.  If we get to M2 and it's not quite
done, let's evaluate the outstanding work and see if it makes sense.

I encourage additional planning and work items to be publicized as
soon as possible.  Given that M1 is in 2 weeks, it's just a reminder
that these are the deadlines. As PTL I don't make the schedule. I'm
just reminding you that it exists[0] and needs to be taken into
consideration. I would like to remind you that we also have additional
containerization items that are necessary for the overcloud which I
think should take precedence of the undercloud containerization as the
default. Once again if you and the containerization team feel you can
make it, great let's get it done. I look forward to reviewing and
approving patches as they show up.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://releases.openstack.org/queens/schedule.html