[openstack-dev] [tripleo][quickstart][rdo] shipping python-virtualbmc in Newton to allow undercloud upgrades from Newton to Queens

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 12:08:25 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I'm currently working to get the tripleo-spec for fast-forward upgrades
out of WIP and merged ahead of the Queens M-1 milestone next week. One
of the documented pre-requisite steps for fast-forward upgrades is for
an operator to linearly upgrade the undercloud from Newton (N) to Queens
(N+3):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/497257/

This is not possible at present with tripleo-quickstart deployed virtual
environments thanks to our use of the pxe_ssh Ironic driver in Newton
that has now been removed in Pike:

https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/ironic/pike.html#id14

I briefly looked into migrating between pxe_ssh and the new default of
vbmc during the Ocata to Pike undercloud upgrade but I'd much rather
just deploy Newton using vbmc. AFAICT the only issue here is packaging
with the python-virtualbmc package not present in the Newton repos.

With that in mind I've submitted the following changes that remove the
various conditionals in tripleo-quickstart that block the use of vbmc in
Newton and verified that this works by using the Ocata python-virtualbmc
package:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:allow_vbmc_newton+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

FWIW I can deploy successfully on Newton with these changes and then
upgrade the undercloud to Pike just fine.

Would anyone be able to confirm *if* we could ship python-virtualbmc in
the Newton relevant repos?

Thanks in advance,

Lee
--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76