[openstack-dev] [nova] notification update week 40

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Oct 2 11:30:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here is the status update / focus settings mail for w40.

Bugs
----
[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1699115 api.fault
notification is never emitted
We still have to figure out what is the expected behavior here based on:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118639.html
We requested information of possible users of api.fault notification
[1] and it seems that rackspace does not use api.fault notification
[2][3].

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-September/014267.html
[2]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2017-09-26.log.html#t2017-09-26T19:57:03
[3]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2017-09-27.log.html#t2017-09-27T08:30:57

Patch is proposed to remove the legacy api.fault notification dead code
and configuration:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/505164/ Remove dead code of
api.fault notification sending

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1718485
instance.live.migration.force.complete is not a versioned notification
and not whitelisted
Solution merged to master: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/506104/ and
now it needs to be backported to stable branches.

[Undecided] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1718226 bdm is
wastefully loaded for versioned instance notifications
This is a bug to follow up of the closed bp
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/additional-notification-fields-for-searchlight
The fix removes lot of unnecessary BDM loading from the notification
code path: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1718226

[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1706563
TestRPC.test_cleanup_notifier_null fails with timeou
[High] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1685333 Fatal Python error:
Cannot recover from stack overflow. - in py35 unit test job
The first bug is just a duplicate of the second. It seems the TetRPC
test suite has a way to end up in an infinite recusion.
Last week two compeeting patches were proposed that might help us
getting at least logs from the failing test cases:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507253/
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507239/

[Medium] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1719915
test_live_migrate_delete race fail when checking allocations:
MismatchError: 2 != 1
It turned out that the original failure reported in the bug report was
only seen in two patches that are actually changing behavior of the
live migration. However during the investigation we found that there is
real race that affects the test_live_migrate_delete test case and a
patch is proposed and already on the gate.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507911/

Versioned notification transformation
-------------------------------------
Let's try to merge the same 3 transformation patches than last week.
All the three only needs a second core to look at:
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/396210 Transform aggregate.add_host
notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/396211 Transform
aggregate.remove_host notification
* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/503089 Add instance.interface_attach
notification

Versioned notification burndown chart
=====================================
Last week I realized that the current notification burndown chart [1]
needs to be moved to another hosting solution as OpenShift2 is retired.
Chris made a generous offer to host it so the chart is now moved to
[2]. Thank you Chris!

[1] https://vntburndown-gibi.rhcloud.com/index.html
[2] http://burndown.peermore.com/nova-notification/

Small improvements
------------------
* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:refactor-notification-samples
Factor out duplicated notification sample data
This is a start of a longer patch series to deduplicate notification
sample data.
Takashi pointed out in the review that the current proposal actually
changes the content of the sample appearing in our documentations. The
reason is that some fields of the common sample fragment is overridden
only during the functional test run and not during the doc generation.
On the last subteam meeting we agreed with Matt to try to make the
override in a more clever way that applies to both the functional test
and the doc generation. See more in meeting log:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova_notification/2017/nova_notification.2017-09-26-17.00.log.html#l-63

Weekly meeting
Next subteam meeting will be held on 3nd of October, Tuesday 17:00 UTC
on openstack-meeting-4.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20171003T170000

Cheers,
gibi