[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Oct 2 11:28:17 UTC 2017

On 09/28/2017 04:50 PM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:
> There’s some history around this discussion [1], but times have changed
> and the purpose of the patches I’m submitting is slightly different [2]
> as far as I can see – it’s a little more focused and less intrusive.
>

> The projects which deploy OpenStack from source or using python wheels
> currently have to either carry templates for api-paste, policy and
> rootwrap files or need to source them from git during deployment. This
> results in some rather complex mechanisms which could be radically
> simplified by simply ensuring that all the same files are included in
> the built wheel. Distribution packagers typically also have mechanisms
> in place to fetch the files from the source repo when building the
> packages – including the files through pbr’s data_files for packagers
> may or may not be beneficial, depending on how the packagers do their
> build processes.
>

> In neutron [3], glance [4], designate [5] and sahara [6] the use of the
> data_files option in the files section of setup.cfg is established and
> has been that way for some time. However, there have been issues in the
> past implementing something similar – for example in keystone there has
> been a bit of a yoyo situation where a patch was submitted, then reverted.
>

> I’ve been proposing patches [7] to try to make the implementation across
> projects consistent and projects have, for the most part, been happy to
> go ahead and merge them. However concern has been raised that we may end
> up going through another yo-yo experience and therefore I’ve been asked
> to raise this on the ML.
>

> Do any packagers or deployment projects have issues with this
> implementation? If there are any issues, what’re your suggestions to
> resolve them?

I still have the issue that adding stuff in etc, at packaging time, push
them in /usr/etc, which is obviously wrong. We tried to push for a PBR
patch, but failed, as Robert Collins wrote it had to be fixed in
setuptools. Which is why all patches have been reverted so far.

While I may agree with Robert, I think we had to choose for a pragmatic
(even temporary) solution, and I don't understand why it's been years
that this stays unfixed, especially when we have an easy solution. [1]

So, until that is fixed, please do not propose this type of patches.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/274077/