[openstack-dev] [oaktree] Follow up to Multi-cloud Management in OpenStack Summit session

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Nov 29 16:26:11 UTC 2017

On 11/28/2017 07:14 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Small side-question,
>
> Why would this just be limited to openstack clouds?
 >
> Would it be?

That's a great question. I think, at least for now, attempting to
support non-OpenStack clouds would be too much and would cause us to
have a thing that tries to solve all the problems and ends up solving
none of them.

The problem is that, as much as there are deployer differences between
OpenStack clouds, papering over them isn't THAT bad from an interface
perspective, since the fundamental concepts are all the same.

Once you add non-OpenStack clouds, you have to deal with the extreme
impedence mismatch between core concepts, and the use of similar names
for different things.

For instance - an OpenStack Availability Zone and an AWS AZ are **not**
the same thing. So you'd either need to use a different word mapped to
each one (which would confuse either OpenStack or AWS users) or you'd
have an oaktree concept mean different things depending on which cloud
happened to be there.

All that said - I don't think there's anything architecturally that
would prevent such work from happening- I just think it's fraught with
peril and unlikely to be super successful and that we should focus on
making sure OpenStack users can consume multi-cloud and
multi-cloud-region sanely. Then, once we're happy with that and have
served the needs of our OpenStack users, if someone comes up with a plan
that adds support for non-OpenStack backend drivers for oaktree in a way
that does not make life worse for the OpenStack users - then why not.