[openstack-dev] [octavia] connection to external network

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 17:32:27 UTC 2017

Hello Volodymyr,

You have two options:
1. When you create your VIP, simply put in your external network as
the vip-subnet-id or vip-network-id. This will allocate a public IP to
the VIP.
2. Use neutron to assign a floating IP to the VIP address of the load
balancer.  From your example, let's say the VIP address of lb1 is
10.0.0.10 on the nbt-subnet with port ID
7e11e63e-7dcb-4b2c-835e-f5cd7ca79acf.  You would use "openstack
floating ip create --port 7e11e63e-7dcb-4b2c-835e-f5cd7ca79acf
external".  This will assign a floating IP to the VIP address.

Option 1 will have better performance as there is no NAT occurring
like there is with a floating IP.

Michael