[openstack-dev] [all] Community managed tech/dev blog: Call for opinions and ideas

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Nov 27 13:55:52 UTC 2017

Greetings,

Last Thursday[0], at the TC office hours, we brainstormed a bit around the idea
of having a tech blog. This idea came first from Joshua Harlow and it was then
briefly discussed at the summit too.

The idea, we have gathered, is to have a space where the community could write
technical posts about OpenStack. The idea is not to have an aggregator (that's
what our planet[1] is for) but a place to write original and curated content.
During the conversation, we argued about what kind of content would be
acceptable for this platform. Here are some ideas of things we could have there:

- Posts that are dev-oriented (e.g: new functions on an oslo lib)
- Posts that facilitate upstream development (e.g: My awesome dev setup)
- Deep dive into libvirt internals
- ideas?

As Chris Dent pointed out on that conversation, we should avoid making this
place a replacement for things that would otherwise go on the mailing list -
activity reports, for example. Having dev news in this platform, we would
overlap with things that go already on the mailing list and, arguably, we would
be defeating the purpose of the platform. But, there might be room for both(?)

Ultimately, we should avoid topics promoting new features in services as that's what
superuser[2] is for.

So, what are your thoughts about this? What kind of content would you rather
have posted here? Do you like the idea at all?

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2017-11-23.log.html#t2017-11-23T15:01:25
[1] http://planet.openstack.org/
[2] http://superuser.openstack.org/

Flavio