[openstack-dev] [infra][all] Removal of packages from bindep-fallback

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Thu Nov 23 18:55:07 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-16 06:59, Ian Wienand wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some time ago we started the process of moving towards projects being
> more explicit about thier binary dependencies using bindep [1]
>
> To facilitate the transition, we created a "fallback" set of
> dependencies [2] which are installed when a project does not specifiy
> it's own bindep dependencies.  This essentially replicated the rather
> ad-hoc environment provided by CI images before we started the
> transition.
>
> This list has acquired a few packages that cause some problems in
> various situations today.  Particularly packages that aren't in the
> increasing number of distributions we provide, or packages that come
> from alternative repositories.
>
> To this end, [3,4] proposes the removal of
>
>  liberasurecode-*
>  mongodb-*
>  python-zmq
>  redis
>  zookeeper
>  ruby-*
>
> from the fallback packages.  This has a small potential to affect some
> jobs that tacitly rely on these packages.

This has now merged. One fallout I noticed is that pcre-devel is not
installed anymore and thus "pcre.h" is not found when building some
python files. If that hits you, update your bindep.txt file with:
pcre-devel [platform:rpm]
libpcre3-dev [platform:dpkg]

For details about bindep, see
https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/drivers.html#package-requirements

Andreas

> NOTE: this does *not* affect devstack jobs (devstack manages it's own
> dependencies outside bindep) and if you want them back, it's just a
> matter of putting them into the bindep file in your project (and as a
> bonus, you have better dependency descriptions for your code).
>
> We should be able to then remove centos-release-openstack-* from our
> centos base images too [5], which will make life easier for projects
> such as triple-o who have to work-around that.
>
> If you have concerns, please reach out either via mail or in
> #openstack-infra
>
> Thank you,
>
> -i
>
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/bindep/