[openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] [Openstack-operators] [QA] Proposal for a QA SIG

Chandan kumar chkumar246 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 14:39:04 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Ghanshyam Mann <ghanshyammann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 12:41 AM, Andrea Frittoli
> <andrea.frittoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:33 PM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
>> wrote:

> Yea, This will greatly help QA team to get more interest from
> downstream QA teams and sharing
> of QA practice, scenarios & tools. I am happy to volunteer for this effort.
>

>>> I think this goes with the current trends of re-centering upstream
>>> "project teams" on the production of software, while using SIGs as
>>> communities of practice (beyond the governance boundaries), even if they
>>> happen to produce (some) software as the result of their work.
>>>
>>> One question I have is whether we'd need to keep the "QA" project team
>>> at all. Personally I think it would create confusion to keep it around,
>>> for no gain. SIGs code contributors get voting rights for the TC anyway,
>>> and SIGs are free to ask for space at the PTG... so there is really no
>>> reason (imho) to keep a "QA" project team in parallel to the SIG ?
>>

>> That is a possibility indeed, but I think co-existance will be the case for
>> bit at least - we may decide to drop the QA program eventually depending
>> on how the experience with the SIG goes.
>
> Yea, we can think of merging both based on progress and how this SIG
> provide us the practical benefits. Probably this idea might solve less
> contributors issue where more people from downstream start
> participating in QA but as of now I cannot say anything on this.
>
> In current situation, it will be difficult to not have QA project
> team. QA has around 15 projects
> and few of active projects like Tempest, Devstack, Grenade, Patrole,
> O-H need dedicated team to
> maintain and implement them. Grouping them under single SIG will be
> another challenge to get a dedicated
> attention to them.
>
> Currently I see the proposed QA SIG as a common platform for different
> entity like OpenStack upstream, downstream QA and
> other community like opnfv etc. to share best practice, tooling etc.
> For example, opnfv shown much interest in on-ongoing OpenStack
> "extreme testing" and this SIG can play important role to
> shape this project in good/efficient direction. But we need a
> dedicated set of people to lead/implement it.
>
> Another point/idea is to consider and run this QA SIG  as one of the
> effort under QA program along with project team which can be lead by
> common leader(QA PTL) to make sure both
> effort goes in smooth and syncing way.

Thanks Andreaf for starting it. I am happy to help.
It is a great idea to bring more people under QA as well as help to
share best practices
and tools with in OpenStack community.
I have one query, Are we also planning to collaborate with other
communities like Ansible, K8s and others for the same?

Thanks,

Chandan Kumar