[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Blueprint proposals for 'file' publisher: Compression and CSV file format

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Thu Nov 16 18:49:27 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-16 12:44 PM, Waines, Greg wrote:

> 1.Compression of files (within file rotation) to minimize disk usage and
> minimize bandwidth in FTP-ing these files off server
>
> oi.e. as part of file rotation, the newly rotated file would be gzip’d
> to compress the file
>
> othis would be an optional parameter in the pipeline definition in
> /etc/ceilometer/pipeline.yaml
> e.g.
>
> name: meter_file
>
> meters:
>
>      - "*"
>
> publishers:
>
>      - file:///var/test?max_bytes=10000000&backup_count=5&compress=true
>
> oagain,
> minimizing disk usage and minimizing network bandwidth in FTP-ing these
> files off server.

seems like a good idea. just curious, how would you implement this?

> 2.CSV (Comma Separated Values) File Format
>
> oCSV is widely supported for many off-box Statistical Analysis-type
> Tools; especially in Telecom,
>
> oagain this would be done as an optional argument to the file publisher
>
> §the existing format (python dictionary print) would remain as the
> default format
>
> §‘format=csv’ would be the argument added to the publisher line in order
> to enable CSV format
> e.g.
>
> name: meter_file
>
> meters:
>
>      - "*"
>
> publishers:
>
>      - file:///var/test?max_bytes=10000000&backup_count=5&format=csv

this sounds like a good idea. i believe there was a bug previously that
suggested cleaning up the output of the file publisher/dispatcher so
it's not just dumping random blurbs of json. i think the proposed
format=csv trigger makes sense.

> I think these would be valuable addons to the Ceilometer File Publisher,

agreed! thanks for suggesting them. this is me assuming you (or a
colleague) will implement this :)

--
gord