[openstack-dev] [ironic] [requirements] moving driver dependencies to global-requirements?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 08:32:33 UTC 2017

On 10/31/2017 12:11 AM, Richard.Pioso at dell.com wrote:
>> From: Dmitry Tantsur [mailto:dtantsur at redhat.com]
>
>> Cons:
>> 1. more work for both the requirements team and the vendor teams
>
> Please elaborate on the additional work you envision for the vendor teams.

Any requirements updates with have to be submitted to the requirements repo. It
may take longer (may not).

>> 2. inability to use ironic release notes to explain driver requirements changes
>
> Where could that information move to?

I think it's a generic question, to be honest. We don't inform operators of
requirements changes via release notes. I don't have an easy answer.

>> We either will have one list:
>>
>> [extras]
>> drivers =
>>     sushy>=a.b
>>     python-dracclient>=x.y
>>     python-prolianutils>=v.w
>>
>> or (and I like this more) we'll have a list per hardware type:
>>
>> [extras]
>> redfish =
>>     sushy>=a.b
>> idrac =
>>     python-dracclient>=x.y
>> ilo =
>>
>> WDYT?
>>

> Overall, a big +1. I prefer the second approach.
>
> A couple of questions ...
>
> 1. If two (2) hardware types have the same requirement, would they both
> enter it in their lists?

Yes

> 2. And would that be correctly handled?

Tony checked it (see his response to this thread) - yes.