[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] Upstream LTS Releases

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Nov 15 00:37:26 UTC 2017

I can think of a few ideas, though some sound painful on paper.... Not really recommending anything, just thinking out loud...

One idea is that at the root of chaos monkey. If something is hard, do it frequently. If upgrading is hard, we need to be doing it constantly so the pain gets largely eliminated. One idea would be to discourage the use of standing up a fresh devstack all the time by devs and have them upgrade them instead. If its hard, then its likely someone will chip in to make it less hard.

Another is devstack in general. the tooling used by devs and that used by ops are so different as to isolate the devs from ops' pain. If they used more opsish tooling, then they would hit the same issues and would be more likely to find solutions that work for both parties.

A third one is supporting multiple version upgrades in the gate. I rarely have a problem with a cloud has a database one version back. I have seen lots of issues with databases that contain data back when the cloud was instantiated and then upgraded multiple times.

Another option is trying to unify/detangle the upgrade procedure. upgrading compute kit should be one or two commands if you can live with the defaults. Not weeks of poring through release notes, finding correct orders from pages of text and testing vigorously on test systems.

How about some tool that does the: dump database to somewhere temporary, iterate over all the upgrade job components, and see if it will successfully not corrupt your database. That takes a while to do manually. Ideally it could even upload stacktraces back a bug tracker for attention.

Thanks,
Kevin