[openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Nov 14 19:28:21 UTC 2017

On 11/14/2017 05:08 PM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
>>> The concept, in general, is to create a new set of cores from these
>>> groups, and use 3rd party CI to validate patches. There are lots of
>>> details to be worked out yet, but our amazing UC (User Committee) will
>>> be begin working out the details.
>>
>> What is the most worrying is the exact "take over" process. Does it mean that
>> the teams will give away the +2 power to a different team? Or will our (small)
>> stable teams still be responsible for landing changes? If so, will they have
>> to learn how to debug 3rd party CI jobs?
>>
>> Generally, I'm scared of both overloading the teams and losing the control
>> over quality at the same time :) Probably the final proposal will clarify it..
>
> The quality of backported fixes is expected to be a direct (and only?) interest
> of those new teams of new cores, coming from users and operators and vendors.

I'm not assuming bad intentions, not at all. But there is a lot of involved in a
decision whether to make a backport or not. Will these people be able to
evaluate a risk of each patch? Do they have enough context on how that release
was implemented and what can break? Do they understand why feature backports are
bad? Why they should not skip (supported) releases when backporting?

I know a lot of very reasonable people who do not understand the things above
really well.