[openstack-dev] [python-openstacksdk] Existential question about Service/ServiceFilter

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Nov 13 17:19:28 UTC 2017

Hey everybody,

In the shade stack, one of the main changes is making Proxy a subclass
of keystoneauth1.adapter.Adapter. This means we don't have to carry
endpoint_override dicts around to pass to rest calls on the session, but
instead let ksa handle that for us inside the Adapter structure. With
that change, it means that Service/ServiceFilter is now *essentially*
just doing the same job as the *_api_version code from os-client-config.

That logic is still important because we need to, at Connection
construction time, know what version of a given service's Proxy object
to instantiate and attach to the connection. (so that conn.image is
openstack.image.v2._proxy.Proxy on v2 clouds and
openstack.image.v1._proxy.Proxy on v1 clods)

We could just remove them and let the OCC CloudConfig object and config
settings handle it, since we currently have default versions set there.

HOWEVER - I'm writing this because we'd also like to stop having default
versions encoded in config and instead rely on doing version discovery
properly to find the right versions, leaving *_api_version settings as
overrides, not required config.

This brings us to the issue:

* In the current structure, if we use version discovery, we'd need to
run it - for every service on the cloud - in the Connection constructor.
That'll be unworkably slow.

* If we don't use version discovery, we can't remove the default version
settings from openstack.config/clouds.yaml - and private clouds or other
clouds that don't have vendor settings files will require the user to
set overrides (that could be detected) on clouds that did not have the
version of a service that we have set as our default.

* We could add a magic multi-version Proxy object that only does version
discovery when someone tries to use it, and once it has done discovery
creates the correct versioned Proxy object and does getattribute
passthrough to it. This has the potential benefit of also being able to
have the 'magic' Proxy have a copy of each known version. For instance:

   conn = Connection(cloud='example')
   # On this access, Connection has a magic Proxy Image object at
   # conn.image. When conn.image.__getattribute__ is run, it is
   # discovered that there is no 'real' proxy. ksa discovery is run,
   # v1 and v2 are discovered and openstack.image.v2._proxy.Proxy
   # is created and added the 'real' proxy attribute. Subsequent
   # __getattribute__ calls on conn.image get passed through to the
   # v2 proxy:
   conn.image.images()
   # If someone knows they want a specific version for a call, the
   # magic proxy can also add instances for each found version as
   # attributes, allowing:
   conn.image.v1.images()
   # or
   conn.image.v2.images()

* We could add magic __getattribute__ stuff to Connection itself so that
the first time someone tries to touch one of the service proxy
attributes we do version discovery for that and then just attach the
correct proxy object in place the first time. It could also attach
versioned attributes as above:

   conn = Connection(cloud='example')
   # On this access, conn.__getattribute__ looks for image, sees
   # that it's in the list of service-types but doesn't have a
   # Proxy object yet. It does ksa discovery, finds that
   # v1 and v2 exist and makes a openstack.image.v2._proxy.Proxy
   # object that it attaches to conn.image. Subsequent
   # __getattribute__ calls on conn note that conn.image exists
   # so just work as normal.
   conn.image.images()
   # If someone knows they want a specific version for a call, the
   # original __getattribute__ call can also add instances for each
   # found version as attributes on the 'main' proxy, allowing:
   conn.image.v1.images()
   # or
   conn.image.v2.images()

* We could do neither of those things and instead rely on persistent
caching of version discovery. Perhaps add a 'login' command to OSC that
will do an auth, grab the catalog and locally cache all the version
discovery. If we find that cached data we'll use it, otherwise we'll
generate it and cache it on our first use. I'm a bit skeptical that this
is entirely the right call, as it would potentially be a large startup
cost at times the user isn't expecting, and without cooperative remote
content (such as the proposed profile document) invalidation becomes
super hard to get right. (I DO think we should add persistent caching of
version discovery documents to lower cost when using OSC on to of SDK -
but I worry about having basic functionality depend on such code.

Does anyone have a preference of one approach over the other? Or other
suggestions?