[openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Nov 11 17:03:34 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 05:27 PM, Samuel Cassiba wrote:
> ie. deployment-focused development
> teams already under a crunch as contributor count continues to decline
> in favor of other projects inside and out of OpenStack.

Did you even think that one of the reason for such a decline, is that
OpenStack is moving too fast, and has no LTS? Some major public cloud
(which I will on purpose not name) are still running Kilo, which was
released 3 years ago! 3 or 5 years support for an LTS version is the
industry standard, and OpenStack is doing only 1 year. This has driven
people away, and will continue to do so if nothing is done.

Instead of thinking "this will be more work", why don't you think of the
LTS as an opportunity to only release OpenStack Chef for the LTS? That'd
be a lot less work indeed, and IMO that's a very good opportunity for
you to scale down.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)