[openstack-dev] [TripleO] containerized undercloud in Queens

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Fri Nov 10 21:02:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>> we
>> node.
>> VM
>> jobs

>> > Yes, just scenarios.

>> > Yes, exactly, and also work on optimizing OVB jobs (maybe just keep
>> > one or 2 jobs, instead 3).

>> > Keep 1 or 2 OVB jobs, to test ironic + mistral + HA (HA could be
>> > tested with multinode though but well).

>> > Yes. Thanks for reformulate with better words.
>> > Just to be clear, I want to transform the scenarios into single-node
>> > jobs that deploy the SAME services (using composable services) from
>> > the undercloud, using the new ansible installer. I also want to keep
>> > running Tempest.
>> > And of course, like we said, keep one multinode job to test overcloud
>> > workflow, and OVB with some adjustments.
>> >

>> So I'm ok with switching to use the containerized undercloud deploy to
>> smoke test functionality of more complex openstack service
>> deployments. What I would like to see prior to investing in this is
>> that the plain containerized undercloud deploy job reliability is on
>> par with the existing undercloud install.  We had to switch the
>> undercloud-containers back to non-voting due to higher failure rates
>> and it is still not voting.
>

> Agree, once we have a little success I'll update featureset027 ( the
> undercloud-containers )
> which is still non-voting to use this updated containerized deployment.
> Then we'll compare
> the undercloud-oooq to undercloud-containers (fs027) After a few weeks of
> running.
>

>> With the current state of CI being
>> questionable due to random failures which are not fully have resolved,
>> I would prefer that we ensure existing CI is stable and that what we
>> plan to move is as stable.
>>

> Agreed,
> There are times IMHO when one must strike when the iron is hot on certain
> parts of the work here.  I felt compelled to help bootstrap Ian with the
> containerized undercloud work or see old habits remain and have things
> running in tripleo.sh or other shell scripts.
>
> The priority is to help stablize the upstream CI for sure!
>

>> Additionally I think we need to ensure that the ovb jobs that still do
>> full deployment process become voting by switching to 3rd party CI.
>>

> Yes, agreed.  I'll reach out to the rdo sf admins and see if we get it
> voting -2.
> That is what we discussed at summit.
>

>> Thanks,
>> -Alex
>>
>> > Is it good?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --
>> > Emilien Macchi

FYI..  I thought it would be a good idea to allow folks to work on the
containerized undercloud w/o
using a bunch of upstream resources.

https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/c/10468/

The above patch would allow us to recheck the containerized
undercloud install w/o running recheck.
You would need a change on instack-undercloud and to execute "check rdo
experimental"

Reviews are welcome
Thanks