[openstack-dev] [Nova] Moving the virt_mkfs flags to privsep

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Nov 8 01:24:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

a really really long time ago (think 2011), we added support in Nova for
configuring the mkfs commands that are run for new ephemeral disks using
the virt_mkfs command. The current implementation is in
nova/virt/disk/api.py for your reading pleasure.

I'm battling a little with how to move this code to privsep, because I have
resisted providing any method which just takes a command line and runs it
with escalated permissions, as I feel this defeats the purpose of privsep.

I could just pickup all the command line parsing code and move it into
privsep, but I am left wondering if anyone actually uses this
functionality, or if we should just deprecate it all?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Michael