[openstack-dev] [oslo][tripleo][puppet] Logging format: let's discuss a bit about default format, format configuration and so on

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 15:15:56 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Cédric Jeanneret
<cedric.jeanneret at camptocamp.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> would mean "rewrite almost all the python logging management
>>> interface"², and that's pretty useless, since (all?) services have their
>>> own "logging.conf" file.
>>>
>>> That said… to the main purpose of that mail:
>>>
>>> - Default format for logs
>>> A first question would be "are we all OK with the default output format"
>>> - I'm pretty sure "humans" are happy with that, as it's really
>>> convenient to read and grep. But on a "standard" Openstack deploy, I'm
>>> pretty sure one does not have only one controller, one ceph node and one
>>> compute. Hence comes the log centralization, and with that, the log
>>> indexation and treatments.
>>>
>>> For that, one might argue "I'm using plain files on my logger, and
>>> grep-ing -r in them". That's a way to do things, and for that, plain,
>>> flat logs are great.
>>>
>>> But… I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wanting to use some kind of
>>> ELK cluster for that kind of purpose. So the right question is: what
>>> about switching the default log format to JSON? On my part, I don't see
>>> "cons", only "pros", but my judgment is of course biased, as I'm "alone
>>> in my corner". But what about you, Community?
>>
>> The major con I see is that we don't require an ELK stack and reading
>> JSON logs if you don't have one of those is probably worse, although I
>> will admit I haven't spent much time reading our JSON-formatted logs. My
>> experience with things that log in JSON has not generally been positive
>> though.  It's just not as human-readable.
>
> We're on the same line on that - hence the following proposal. I was
> pretty sure switching the default format was a bad thing, but I had to
> submit it in order to be complete ;).
> Let's focus on the other one, as it's more friendly for everyone.
>

>> The other problem with changing log format defaults is that many people
>> have already set up filters and processing based on the existing log
>> format.  There are significant user impacts to changing that default.
>>

>>> - Provide a way to configure the output format/handler
>>> While poking around in the puppet modules code, I didn't find any way to
>>> set the output handler for the logs. For example, in puppet-nova³ we can
>>> set a lot of things, but not the useful handler for the output.
>>>
>>> It would be really cool to get, for each puppet module, the capability
>>> to set the handler so that one can just push some stuff in hiera, and
>>> Voilà, we have JSON logs.
>>>
>>> Doing so would allow people to chose between the default  (current)
>>> output, and something more "computable".
>>
>> I think we should do this regardless.  There are valid arguments for
>> people to want both log formats IMHO and we should allow people to use
>> what they want.
>
> If I understand the things correctly, that would require a "small"
> change in every puppet modules so that it configures the service with
> the proper log output. Any way to automate something on that? It might
> be worth to do some PoC on a specific module maybe?

So for the puppet modules, the available logging configuration lives
in puppet-oslo so if there's a configuration around that that needs to
be updated[0] then that is the first change. From there you would need
to go through each module to expose this new configuration in the
logging classes. For example puppet-nova[1].  You could probably write
a script to modify each but I'm not sure they are completely
consistent between classes. I think they are but it would require some
validation.

[0] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-oslo/blob/master/manifests/log.pp
[1] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/manifests/logging.pp