[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] deploy software on Openstack controller on the Overcloud

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed May 31 22:54:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Dnyaneshwar Pawar
<Dnyaneshwar.Pawar at veritas.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Currently we have puppet modules[0] to configure our software which has
> components on Openstack Controller, Cinder node and Nova node.
> As per document[1] we successfully tried out role specific configuration[2].
>
> So, does it mean that if we have an overcloud image with our packages
> inbuilt and we call our configuration scripts using role specific
> configuration, we may not need puppet modules[0] ? Is it acceptable
> deployment method?

So running a binary from Puppet, to make configuration management is
not something we recommend.
Puppet has been good at managing configuration files and services for
example. In your module, you just manage a file and execute it. The
problem with that workflow is we have no idea what happens in backend.
Also we have no way to make Puppet run idempotent, which is one
important aspect in TripleO.

Please tell us what does the binary, and maybe we can convert the
tasks into Puppet resources that could be managed by your module. Also
make the resources by class (service), so we can plug it into the
composable services in TripleO.

Thanks,

> [0] https://github.com/abhishek-kane/puppet-veritas-hyperscale
> [1]
> https://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/advanced_deployment/node_config.html
> [2] http://paste.openstack.org/show/611116/
>
> Thanks,
> Dnyaneshwar
>
> On 5/30/17, 6:52 PM, "Alex Schultz" <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM, Dnyaneshwar Pawar
> <Dnyaneshwar.Pawar at veritas.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am tying to deploy a software on openstack controller on the overcloud.
> One way to do this is by modifying ‘overcloud image’ so that all packages of
> our software are added to image and then run overcloud deploy.
> Other way is to write heat template and puppet module which will deploy the
> required packages.
>
> Question: Which of above two approaches is better?
>
> Note: Configuration part of the software will be done via separate heat
> template and puppet module.
>

> Usually you do both.  Depending on how the end user is expected to
> deploy, if they are using the TripleoPackages service[0] in their
> role, the puppet installation of the package won't actually work (we
> override the package provider to noop) so it needs to be in the
> images.  That being said, usually there is also a bit of puppet that
> needs to be written to configure the end service and as a best
> practice (and for development purposes), it's a good idea to also
> capture the package in the manifest.
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> [0]