[openstack-dev] [nova] Newton 14.0.7 and Ocata 15.0.5 releases

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 26 11:53:35 UTC 2017

This is a follow up to an email from Melanie Witt [1] calling attention
to a high severity performance regression identified in Newton. That
change is merged and the fix will be in the Ocata 15.0.5 release [2] and
Newton 14.0.7 release [3].

Those releases will also contain a fix for a bug where we didn't
properly handle special characters in the database connection URL when
running the simple_cell_setup or map_cell0 commands, which are used when
setting up cells v2 (optional in Newton, required in Ocata).

Finally, the Newton release is also going to include a fix to generate
the cell0 database connection URL to use the 'nova_cell0' database name
rather than 'nova_api_cell0' if you allow Nova to generate the name
(note that Nova doesn't create the database, that's your job). Again,
setting up cells v2 is optional in Newton but people have been getting
started with it there and some people have hit this. This fix doesn't
help anyone that has already upgraded, but is there for people which
haven't done it yet (which I'm assuming is the majority).

Details are in the release notes for both:

https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/newton.html

https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/ocata.html

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/117132.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468388/