[openstack-dev] [OSC][ironic][mogan] Can we share the same keyword 'baremetal'?

Zhenguo Niu niu.zglinux at gmail.com
Fri May 26 02:41:33 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Loo, Ruby <ruby.loo at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Zhenguo,
>

> Thanks for bringing this up. Naming is hard :-(
>

> Maybe this is a dumb question but your phrase "We copied nova's server
> resource concept here, so users may easily to accept the 'baremetal
> server'" made me wonder. I'm not a user of Mogan so I don't know if this
> would work, but OSC already has
>
>     openstack server <action> <args>
>
>     openstack flavor <action> <args>
>
>     openstack keypair <action> <args>
>

> Why can't we use the existing OSC commands, and add an option eg '--bm' to
> indicate that the server is baremetal, not a VM?

Not sure if it's possible to achieve this by two different OSC plugins, and
as we use different options/parameters with nova when creating a baremetal
server, so I think it's hard to control by only a '--bm' option to
distinguish.
And compared with vm servers, baremetal servers have different
capabilities, it will make more confusing if you use 'openstack server
create' to create a baremetal instance, but you can't apply below commands
to it.

openstack server --bm pause/unpause
openstack server --bm shelve/unshelve
openstack server --bm migrate

> Of course, having asked this, how does the user know/distinguish between
> getting a baremetal instance via mogan or via nova... (and should the end
> user actually know that there is a difference...) But I suspect I am
> digressing.

As I understand, baremetal instance in nova is a 'specical virtual
machine'(raw performance). Users claim the instance by specifying a flavor
with 'vcpus', 'memory', "root_gb" instead of real hardware specs like (cpu
model/cores, hard drives type/amount, nics type/amount), then he get an
instance with properties like 'vm_state' and other 'virtual' stuff. As
baremetal in nova use the same model and same set of API that designed for
vms, so even for end users, it's not that easy to know which instance is a
baremetal server, so maybe it's good to call that baremetal server a
special vm instance.

So, yes the end user actually know that there is a difference between
getting a bremetal instance via mogan or via nova :)

Best Regards,
Zhenguo Niu