[openstack-dev] [mistral][freezer] adopting oslo.context for logging debugging and tracing

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu May 25 18:49:24 UTC 2017

The new work to add the exception information and request ID tracing
depends on using both oslo.context and oslo.log to have all of the
relevant pieces of information available as log messages are emitted.

In the course of reviewing the "done" status for those initiatives,
I noticed that although mistral and freezer are using oslo.log,
neither uses oslo.context. That means neither project will get the
extra debugging information, and neither project will see the global
request ID in logs.

I started looking at updating mistral's context to use oslo.context
as a base class, but ran into some issues because of some extensions
made to the existing class. I wasn't able to find where freezer is
doing anything at all with an API request context.

I'm available to help, if someone else wants to pick up the work.

Doug