[openstack-dev] [OSC][ironic][mogan] Can we share the same keyword 'baremetal'?

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Thu May 25 13:29:27 UTC 2017

On 25 May 2017 at 11:03, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/25/2017 11:38 AM, Zhenguo Niu wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com
>> <mailto:dtantsur at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 05/25/2017 10:20 AM, Zhenguo Niu wrote:
>>
>>         hi all,
>>

>>     Hi!
>>

>>         I'm from the Mogan team, we chose the same keyward 'baremetal'
>> when
>>         implementing a OSC plugin [1]. As we think the baremetal command
>> is
>>         representative of a baremetal resource, not a service, so it
>> makes sense
>>         for different projects to share the top level resource name that
>>         OpenStack can provide.
>>

>>     We do not "own" the word "baremetal", so nothing prevents you from
>> using it.
>>     However, in my experience:
>>     1. This does confuse users, as they expect "openstack baremetal" to
>> be a
>>     prefix belonging to Ironic.
>>     2. Collisions may happen. We had two collisions with TripleO already,
>> one
>>     resulted in us killing a TripleO command abruptly.
>>

>> Alternatively, I don't mind to change this to 'bm' or something like that
>> for Mogan, but some operators told me that it will confuse users more to
>> have both 'baremetal' and 'bm' in there CLI.
>> And as I understand, ironic commands are not used frequently, and it's
>> even less if ironic inspector can help to automatically enroll nodes/ports.
>>

> I don't share this understanding, depends on a situation. A user of a
> purely baremetal cloud, or an installer like TripleO, may use the baremetal
> commands all the time.
>

>>         The commands we have implemented are listed below, seems there's
>> no
>>         collision with Ironic presently, and Ironic doesn't manage such
>> resources.
>>
>>         * openstack baremetal server <action> <args>
>>         * openstack bareemtal flavor <action> <args>
>>         * openstack baremetal keypair <action> <args>
>>         * openstack baremetal availability zone <action> <args>
>>

>>     Ironic does not have any notion of either of these, so it should be
>> fine.

When using the openstack CLI I'm often in a 'discovery' mode, particularly
if I'm interacting with a service that I don't often interact with. I often
use the tab autocomplete and fuzzy match features of OSC as I explore.
Having command prefix match multiple services could be confusing,
particularly if I have python-moganclient installed but no mogan service
exists.

If there were an additional command prefix for mogan as is used for ironic
inspector (openstack baremetal introspection ...), this would at least
group the mogan commands.

        * openstack baremetal foo server <action> <args>
        * openstack baremetal foo flavor <action> <args>
        * openstack baremetal foo keypair <action> <args>
        * openstack baremetal foo availability zone <action> <args>