[openstack-dev] [all] Onboarding rooms postmortem, what did you do, what worked, lessons learned

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:27:44 UTC 2017

Project:  Cinder

Attendees: Approximately 30

I was really pleased by the number of people that attended the Cinder
session and the fact that they people in the room seemed engaged with
the presentation and asked good questions showing interest in the
project.  I think having the on-boardings rooms was beneficial and
hopefully something that we can continue.

Given the number of people in the room we didn't go around and introduce
everyone.  I did have the Sean McGinnis introduce himself as PTL and had
the other Cinder Core members introduce themselves so that the attendees
could put faces with our names.

 From there we kicked off the presentation [1] which covered the
following high level topics:

  * Introduction of Cinder's Repos and components
  * Quick overview of Cinder's architecture/organization
  * Pointers to the Upstream Institute education (Might have done a bit
    of a sales pitch for the next session here ;-))
  * Expanded upon the Upstream Institute education to explain how what
    was taught there specifically applied to Cinder
  * Walked through the main Cinder code tree
  * Described how to test changes to Cinder

My presentation was designed to assume that attendees had been through
Upstream Institute.  I had coverage in the slides in case they had not
been through the education.  Unfortunately most of the class had not
been through the education so I did spend a portion of time re-iterating
those concepts and less time was able to be spent at the end going
through real world examples of working with changes in Cinder.  I got
feedback from a few people that having some real hands on coding
examples would have been helpful.

One way we could possible handle this is to split the on-boarding to a
introduction section and then a more advanced second session.  The other
option is that we require people who are attending the on-boarding to
have been through Upstream Institute.  Something to think about.

I think it was unfortunate that the session wasn't recorded.  We shared
a lot of good information (between good questions and having a good
representation of Cinder's Core team in the room) that it would have
been nice to capture.  Given this I am planning at some point in the
near future to work with Walt Boring to record a version of the
presentation that can be uploaded to our Cinder YouTube channel and
include some coding examples.

In summary, I think the on-boarding rooms were a great addition and the
Cinder team is pleased with how we used the time.  I think it is
something we would like to continue to invest time into developing and
improving.

Jay

[1]
https://www.slideshare.net/JayBryant2/openstack-cinder-onboarding-education-boston-summit-2017