[openstack-dev] [TripleO] A proposal for hackathon to reduce deploy time of TripleO

Marios Andreou mandreou at redhat.com
Wed May 24 07:02:27 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 6:47 AM, Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I'd like to propose an idea to make one or two days hackathon in TripleO
> > project with main goal - to reduce deployment time of TripleO.
> >
> > - How could it be arranged?
> >
> > We can arrange a separate IRC channel and Bluejeans video conference
> session
> > for hackathon in these days to create a "presence" feeling.
>
> +1 for IRC. We already have #openstack-sprint, that we could re-use.
> Also +1 for video conference, to get face to face interactions,
> promptly and unscheduled.
>
> > - How to participate and contribute?
> >
> > We'll have a few responsibility fields like tripleo-quickstart,
> containers,
> > storage, HA, baremetal, etc - the exact list should be ready before the
> > hackathon so that everybody could assign to one of these "teams". It's
> good
> > to have somebody in team to be stakeholder and responsible for
> organization
> > and tasks.
>
> Before running the sprint, we should first track bugs / blueprints
> related to deployment speed.
> Not everyone in our team understands why some parts of deployments
> take time, so we need to make it visible so everyone can know how they
> can help during the sprint.
>
> Maybe we could create a Launchpad tag "deployment-time" to track bugs
> related to it. We should also make prioritization so we can work on
> the most critical ones first.
>
> I like the idea of breaking down the skills into small groups:
>
> - High Availability: deployment & runtime of Pacemaker optimization
> - Puppet: anything related to the steps (a bit more general but only a
> few of us have expertise on it, we could improve it).
> - Heat: work with the Heat team if we have some pending bugs about
> slowness.
> - Baremetal: ironic / workflows
> - tripleo-quickstart: tasks that can be improved / optimized
>
> This is a proposal ^ feel free to (comment,add|remove) anything.
>

> > - What is the goal?
> >
> > The goal of this hackathon to reduce deployment time of TripleO as much
> as
> > possible.
> >
> > For example part of CI team takes a task to reduce quickstart tasks
> time. It
> > includes statistics collection, profiling and detection of places to
> > optimize. After this tasks are created, patches are tested and submitted.
> >
> > The prizes will be presented to teams which saved most of time :)
> >
> > What do you think?

o/ Sagi - fwiw I really like the idea - like a remote project gathering...
especially having an open bluejeans session (I'd still do that even if an
irc chan is the preferred medium for the hackathon in the end) and I also
like the topic.

Personally I will find it hard to block-book a day (for example) to work on
this particular thing - depending on where we are in the cycle/current BZ
or customer cases etc etc and that is the main reason I wouldn't be able to
participate - at least not for the whole thing, but would at least try to
track it  (Even if I could block book a day it would probably be hard to
match the day that other folks can do it). I guess if you've gone to the
trouble of filing the bugs/blueprints and the 'deployment-time' tag as
suggested by Emilien then in in the worst case this effort can proceed in
the 'usual' way (gerrit,mailing list etc).

thanks