[openstack-dev] on the subject of when we should be deprecating API's in a release cycle

Amrith Kumar amrith.kumar at gmail.com
Wed May 24 01:08:02 UTC 2017

[Amrith Kumar] Hmm, trove's unit tests are gating against u-c, so that may have been the reason. You may be correct, u-c changes are not gated on Trove yet and I hesitate to request that given how flaky our gate currently is. The container stuff is coming along nicely and is much more reliable so I may be able to have a reliable containerized version that can be tested against before long and then I will request gating u-c changes on Trove as well.

> Admittedly the python API binding deprecations in novaclient weren't using
> the python warnings module with the DeprecationWarning, which we've been
> pretty consistent about with other API deprecations in the novaclient (like
> with the volume, image and baremetal proxy APIs). We dropped the ball on the
> networking ones though. We have docs in novaclient about how to deprecate
> things, but it's mostly CLI-focused so I'm going to update that to be
> explicit about deprecation warnings in the API bindings too.

[Amrith Kumar] Yeah, but I won't try to hide behind that; we should have seen this coming. In fairness, looking at how the neutron stuff is implemented in Trove makes me believe that we have a refactoring project in the near future.