[openstack-dev] [nova] Supporting volume_type when booting from volume

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue May 23 16:13:26 UTC 2017

On 5/23/2017 9:56 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> Is it entirely unreasonable to turn the question around and ask why,
> given it is such a commonly requested feature, the Nova team are so
> resistant to it?

Because it's technical debt for one thing. Adding more orchestration
adds complexity, which adds bugs. Also, as noted in the linked devref on
this, when nova proxies something via the compute API to another
service's API, if that other service changes their API (like with nova's
image proxy API to glance v1 for example, and needing to get to glance
v2), then we have this weird situation with compatibility. Which is more
technical debt. Microversions should make that less of an issue, but
it's still there.

It's also a slippery slope. Once you allow proxies and orchestration
into part of the API, people use it as grounds for justifying doing more
of it elsewhere, i.e. if we do this for volumes, when are we going to
start seeing people asking for passing more detailed information about
Neutron ports when creating a server?

Matt