[openstack-dev] [release][tc][infra][security][stable] Proposal for shipping binaries and containers

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Tue May 23 14:44:30 UTC 2017

Team,

Background:
For projects based on Go and Containers we need to ship binaries, for
example Kubernetes, etcd both ship binaries and maintain stable
branches as well.
  https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/releases
  https://github.com/coreos/etcd/releases/

Kubernetes for example ships container images to public registeries as well:
  https://console.cloud.google.com/gcr/images/google-containers/GLOBAL/hyperkube?pli=1
  https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/cluster/images/hyperkube

So here's a proposal based on the really long thread:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-May/thread.html#116677

The idea is to augment the existing processes for the new deliverables.

* Projects define CI jobs for generating binaries and containers (some
already do!)
* Release team automation will kick builds off when specific versions
are released for the binaries and containers (Since Go based projects
can do cross-builds, we won't need to run these jobs on multiple
architectures which will keep the release process simple)
* Just like we upload stuff to tarballs.openstack.org, we will upload
binaries and containers there as well
* Just like we upload things to pypi, we will upload containers with
specific versions to public repos.
* Projects can choose from the existing release models to make this
process as frequent as they need.

Please note that I am deliberately ruling out the following
* Daily/Nightly releases that are accessible to end users, especially
from stable branches.
* Project teams directly responsible for pushing stuff to end users

What do you think?

Thanks,
Dims