[openstack-dev] [tc] revised Postgresql deprecation patch for governance

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 23 12:00:18 UTC 2017

On 05/22/2017 11:26 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 5/22/2017 10:58 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> I think these are actually compatible concerns. The current proposal to
>> me actually tries to address A1 & B1, with a hint about why A2 is
>> valuable and we would want to do that.
>>
>> It feels like there would be a valuable follow on in which A2 & B2 were
>> addressed which is basically "progressive enhancements can be allowed to
>> only work with MySQL based backends". Which is the bit that Monty has
>> been pushing for in other threads.
>>
>> This feels like what a Tier 2 support looks like. A basic SQLA and pray
>> so that if you live behind SQLA you are probably fine (though not
>> tested), and then test and advanced feature roll out on a single
>> platform. Any of that work might port to other platforms over time, but
>> we don't want to make that table stakes for enhancements.
>
> I think this is reasonable and is what I've been hoping for as a result
> of the feedback on this.
>
> I think it's totally fine to say tier 1 backends get shiny new features.
> I mean, hell, compare the libvirt driver in nova to all other virt
> drivers in nova. New features are written for the libvirt driver and we
> have to strong-arm them into other drivers for a compatibility story.
>
> I think we should turn on postgresql as a backend in one of the CI jobs,
> as I've noted in the governance change - it could be the nova-next
> non-voting job which only runs on nova, but we should have something
> testing this as long as it's around, especially given how easy it is to
> turn this on in upstream CI (it's flipping a devstack variable).

Postgresql support shouldn't be in devstack. If we're taking a tier 2
approach, someone needs to carve out database plugins from devstack and
pg would be one (as could be galera, etc).

This historical artifact that pg was maintained in devstack, but much
more widely used backends were not, is part of the issue.

It would also be a good unit test case as to whether there are pg
focused folks around out there willing to do this basic devstack plugin
/ job setup work.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague