[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Missing answers on Pike release goals

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 23 09:59:24 UTC 2017

Hi!

As part of release management we remind projects of the release cycle
deadlines, including the ones regarding the release goals process.

According to [1], "each PTL is responsible for adding their planning
artifact links to the goal document before the first milestone
deadline", and "if the goal does not apply to a project or the project
has already met the goal, the PTL should explain why that is the case,
instead of linking to planning artifacts".

However, for Pike goals we are 6 weeks past the pike-1 milestone, and we
still have about half the project teams that haven't provided answers
(despite two reminders posted in the release countdown emails). Such a
large share goes beyond the usual occasional misses, and points to a
more systemic issue, that we might want to address before the Queens
campaign starts.

A few questions to bootstrap the discussion:

- Is it that the reporting process is too heavy ? (requiring answers
from projects that are obviously unaffected)

- Is it that people ignore the deadlines and missed the reminders ?
(some unaffected project teams also do not do releases, and therefore
ignore the release countdown emails)

- Is it that in periods of resource constriction, having release-wide
goals is just too ambitious ? (although anecdotal data shows that most
projects have already completed their goals)

- Is it that the goals should be more clearly owned by the community
beyond just the TC? (and therefore the goals should be maintained in a
repository with simpler approval rules and a larger approval group)

- Anything else we should/could change ?

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)