[openstack-dev] [release][infra][puppet][stable] Re: [Release-job-failures] Release of openstack/puppet-nova failed

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon May 22 18:31:49 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2017-05-22 09:06:26 -0600 (-0600), Alex Schultz wrote:
> [...]
>> We ran into this for the puppet-module-build check job so I created a
>> puppet-agent-install builder.  Perhaps the job needs that added to it
> [...]
>
> Problem here being these repos share the common tarball jobs used
> for generating python sdists, with a little custom logic baked into
> run-tarball.sh[*] for detecting and adjusting when the repo is for a
> Puppet module. I think this highlights the need to create custom
> tarball jobs for Puppet modules, preferably by abstracting this
> custom logic into a new JJB builder.

I assume you mean a problem if we added this builder to the job and it
fails for some reason thus impacting the python jobs?  As far as
adding to the builder to the job that's not really a problem and
wouldn't change those jobs as they don't reference the installed
puppet executable.  The problem I have with putting this in the .sh is
that it becomes yet another place where we're doing this package
installation (we already do it in puppet openstack in
puppet-openstack-integration). I originally proposed the builder
because it could be reused if a job requires puppet be available. ie.
this case.  I'd rather not do what we do in the builder in a shell
script in the job and it seems like this is making it more complicated
than it needs to be when we have to manage this in the long term.

Thanks,
-Alex