[openstack-dev] Is the pendulum swinging on PaaS layers?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri May 19 22:06:12 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused by this. Creating a server takes a volume ID if you're booting
> from volume, and that's actually preferred (by nova devs) since then Nova
> doesn't have to orchestrate the creation of the volume in the compute
> service and then poll until it's available.
>
> Same for ports - nova can create the port (default action) or get a port at
> server creation time, which is required if you're doing trunk ports or
> sr-iov / fancy pants ports.
>
> Am I misunderstanding what you're saying is missing?

It turns out those are bad examples, they do accept IDs.

The point though was there _are_ times when what you want is not what
the opinionated composed API gives you (as much as I _do_ like those).
It isn't so much making more REST calls, but a similar number of
different ones that are actually more efficient in the long run.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com